United Taxidermist Association YouTube Channel
United Taxidermist Association Facebook Page
United Taxidermist Association Home

              ​United Taxidermist Association

Board Meeting via Teleconference

United Taxidermist Association

June 15, 2016

                                     Chairman Craig Lewis called the meeting to order at 2:00 pm M.S.T.

 

Roll Call                                                               

Present:                                                               Absent                                 Guest

Craig Lewis Chairman                                                                    

Garland Lessley vice Chair                             Mark Walker                     

Brenda Duvall                                                   Manny Chavez                                                                                  

Terry Bennett Secretary                                                               

Bill Bowen

Bob Prewitt

Jeff Whitlock

 

Approval of the Agenda

A motion was made by Garland and seconded by Bill to amend the agenda

Motion Passed unanimously by a roll call vote

Approval of the May 18, 2016 regular meeting minutes

A motion was made by Brenda and seconded by Garland to approve the May 18, 2016 minutes as presented

Motion passed

 

Chairpersons Comments

No Comments

Reports

Treasurer’s report                                                          

Report was emailed to all Bod.

There were no questions on the Report.

A Motion was made by Garland and seconded by Terry to ratify the checks from the Treasurer’s report.

Motion Passed unanimously

Craig stated that the final Expo financial report would come out after he receives the June bank statement.

Website Report

Go Daddy will refund money from unused email campaign program.

Jeff will update the website with photos that Ken Edwards took at the Expo.

Facebook; Craig will coordinate with Jeff on administration of the Facebook page.

Directive to Terry to send Craig Mac McLane’s contact info.  

Marketing committee

Bill discussed lack of newsletter and Publication of the Artisan magazine. He said that an individual from Texas may be interested in publishing the artisan.

Bill will set up a conference call with this individual.

Membership Committee

Status quo

                Elections- Terry stated that there are 3 board positions expiring. Northwest, International, and US Territories. Terry will be working on the nomination letters, mailings, Ballots etc.

Be Bear Aware committee

Terry Stated that there has been another large male grizzly killed by mistake in South east Idaho. He is in contact with the Fish and game to see if this condition of this bear would work for a life-sized mount.

Artisan Award

Garland mailed out the last 5 Artisans for a total of 49 for the season. The producer will continue to put out 6/month.

General discussion on the wood rounds and locating a new supplier.

Donations/ fundraising committee

Craig asked Garland and Jeff to see if they could come up with some fundraising ideas.

International director report

Craig and Brenda will attend the New Zealand show.

 

2016 expo

Craig said that Brenda and Bonnie did a great job and thanked them. The board members all agreed that the expo was well done, it was unfortunate that the date caused a low turnout.

New Associations and distribution of the Artisan.

Garland has written a draft policy outlining the requirements for new associations to receive the Artisan award.

Directive to Garland to send out a clean version of the draft policy to board members for discussion at the next meeting.

A motion was made by Terry and Seconded by Garland to ratify the decision of the Chair (see attached letter) to send out a letter offering a discount of $50/ booth space at the next expo to 2016 expo vendors. This decision was made to thank them for supporting the UTA and mitigate the low turnout at the 2016 expo.

The motion passed unanimously

2018 Expo Venue

The UTA board need to decide on Geographic location and format of the next expo.

Brenda would like to see it in conjunction with a state show. 2018 Western Regionals will be in Albuquerque NM, so we should lean toward a central state.

Garland suggested Oklahoma and expounded upon their current facility. He also believes it would be a good location to hold the 2017 general membership meeting.

Bill had no opposition to Oklahoma.

Jeff said that he agreed.

Terry also agreed.

Brenda explained the tentative process and logistics of combining a state show and the UTA expo.

 

2017 Annual meeting

Garland suggested Oklahoma or Missouri.

Garland will talk to the Oklahoma association to see if they would be interested.

NTA back boards.

Dave Blank with the National Taxidermists Association contacted Craig Lewis to see if we would be interested in purchasing their backboards.

After discussion the board voted to decline the offer.

 

For the good of the order

Brenda shared her thoughts on the NTA/ UTA and the direction of taxidermy associations in general.

Craig, said that he receive a survey from the Louisville chamber of commerce. Craig stated that he filled out the survey in an uncomplimentary manner toward the host facility of the 2016 expo. The chamber called him back for input.

Craig thanked everyone and their spouses/ significant others for their work at the Expo.

Announcement of the next meeting on July 20, 2016 at 2:00 pm MST.

Motion to adjourn by Garland at 3:07 MST